Volunteers. We have plenty of opportunities if you want some fresh air and exercise or if you just want to spend some time on the farm. More info….
These are some examples of the people we are looking for:
- [JUNE] Blackcurrant/redcurrant pickers. Quick, before the birds get them!
- [JUNE] Hemmers. We have cut up towels to make small single-use towels so we don’t have to use paper towels anymore. They all need hemming. We could deliver them to you if you are stuck indoors, but could help.
- Weeders – we ALWAYS appreciate someone with a few minutes to spare to help us keep on top of the weeds. Pick a few weeds, feed them to the chickens – everyone is happy! We can even designate a small bit of garden for you to personally keep on top of.
- Growers – throughout the year there are always plants to sow, water, plant out, prune and harvest.
- Woodworkers – we have a store of timber to sort and organise so it is ready for all the little construction and maintenance jobs round the farm.
- Log splitters – we split logs and kindling to sell in the shop.
Materials. All of the following are useful to us:
- egg boxes – we reuse these for selling eggs and when they are worn out we use them in our compost.
- off-cuts of lino – for lining the base of our chicken and duck houses (minimum 3 feet wide)
- washed egg shells – we use these to make shell grit to keep our chickens healthy.
- old shoe laces (for stringing up tomatoes in the polytunnel)
- sawdust – for use as litter in the chicken house, and in our off-grid toilet (but not from treated timber, as it kills plants!!)
- hoses and watering cans
- hand gardening tools: such as small forks and trowels
- a 4-hole hole-punch
- surplus timber and DIY materials for our construction projects, such as making a mobile chicken house.
Opportunities. We are seeking the following:
- Markets for our salad leaves – our speciality is producing mixed salad leaves. We are looking for people who want to buy in bulk. We can supply in units of 500g. We can bag salad in 150g amounts, in paper bags. Yes, we can do this without single-use plastic.
- Markets for our other produce: we can supply 10s of units of our staple veg and salad: beetroot, radish, chard, spinach, water cress, French beans, garlic, herbs, tomatos and squash.
- Users for our on-site services – we can host your group on-site for a variety of purposes – school visit, team-building days. You can come to volunteer or to learn or both.
Last updated 15 June 2020